Asia’s steady economic growth, urban development, and educational reform mean that ambitious international students have more opportunities, such as international scholarships and other ways to pay for school.
Here are some of the most interesting scholarships and funding opportunities in Asia. They cover China, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, and South Korea, as well as a few other well-known funds in the area.
Please note that this page is updated yearly, and because the sponsors or institutions that open these scholarships may often change the period in which they accept applications, we may not keep up with these updates due to the volume of scholarships we publish here. Therefore, this page is basically intended to show you the endless opportunities you have to get a scholarship to study anywhere in the world. Simply click on the link to the scholarship you want to check the deadline for on the official website. Or click here to access our list of current scholarships.
Scholarships to study in China
- CAS-TWAS President’s Ph.D. Fellowship Program – Ph.D. fellowships for international students pursuing Ph.D. studies in China.
- Chinese Scholarships-Great Wall Program – Scholarships for international students from developing countries to study in China for one year at any degree level.
- Chinese Government Scholarships – Government scholarships are open to EU students looking to gain funding to study in China. Open to students of all levels.
- Tsinghua University – A range of scholarships to study at Tsinghua University in Beijing.
- USTC Scholarship Program – The University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) offers scholarships for international degree-seeking or exchange students, which award free tuition, free housing, health insurance, and a monthly living allowance.
Scholarships to study in Hong Kong
- HKSAR Government Scholarships Fund – Government scholarships for local and non-local students to gain funding to study in Hong Kong at selected institutions, such as the Belt and Road Scholarship for outstanding students from Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, and Vietnam (it will be expanded in phases to students from other Belt and Road countries).
- Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) – Ph.D. scholarships for international students to study in Hong Kong at a selected university.
Universities in Hong Kong offering international scholarships:
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST)
- Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK)
- University of Hong Kong (HKU)
Scholarships to study in Japan
- ADB-Japan Scholarship Program – Graduate scholarships for students from various Asian and Pacific countries to study in Japan in development-related fields including economics, management, science, and technology.
- Aichi Scholarship Program for Asian Students in Japan – Various study abroad scholarships for Asian students studying at the graduate level in Aichi Prefectural government-approved manufacturing programs in Japan.
- Japan-IMF Scholarships Program for ASIA – Asian scholarships for students currently working in economy and finance within a government agency (e.g. ministry of trade) to study in Japan in a related field. Open only to students from selected Asian countries.
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships for International Research Students – Government scholarships to study in Japan on a graduate-level research program. The next round of applications opens in April 2019.
- JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Program – Study abroad scholarships for doctorate holders wishing to conduct research in Japan at a selected institution.
- Keio University “Design the Future” Award for International Students – Full-tuition international scholarships to study in Japan within any field at Keio University.
- KUT Ph.D. Engineering Scholarships for International Students – Japanese scholarships for engineering students from selected countries to study in Japan at the Ph.D. level at Kochi University of Technology (KUT)
- Master’s Degree ABE Initiative – Scholarship for Africans to study in Japan in a development-related master’s degree program at an accredited university.
- MEXT Scholarship Program – Japan – Japanese government scholarships for Canadians wishing to gain funding for study in Japan. Funds are also available for those undertaking Japanese studies.
- Otsuka Toshimi Scholarship Foundation – International scholarships for students of medicine, pharmacology, nutrition, physical education, or business administration to study in Japan.
- the University of Tokyo Special Scholarship for International Students – Over 100 study abroad scholarships for international graduate students to undertake academic research at the University of Tokyo.
Universities in Tokyo offering international scholarships:
- Aoyama Gakuin University
- Ochanomizu University
- Tokyo Metropolitan University
- Tokyo University of Science
- Waseda University
Scholarships to study in Singapore
- Commonwealth Scholarships and Fellowships for UK Citizens – Asian scholarships for UK students to study in Singapore at the Ph.D. level.
- DST A*STAR Call for Singapore-India Joint Research Grants – Grants for Indian researchers within the fields of science and technology to study in Singapore. Sponsored by the Indian government and A*Star Singapore.
- Lee Kong Chian Graduate Scholarships – Graduate scholarships for research students at the National University of Singapore (NUS).
- NTU University Engineering Scholarship – Scholarships for undergraduate engineering students to study in Singapore at Nanyang Technological University (NTU).
- Singapore International Graduate Award (SINGA) – Ph.D. scholarships to study in Singapore in the fields of science and engineering at selected Singaporean universities.
Scholarships to study in South Korea
- KFAS International Scholar Exchange Fellowship (ISEF) – 50 graduate scholarships for students from Asia to study in South Korea at leading institutions.
- Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) – South Korean government scholarships for international students at the master’s and Ph.D. levels.
- Chung-Ang University Tuition Waiver Scholarships – Tuition waivers and dormitory fee reductions are on offer to international undergraduate students studying at Chung-Ang University.
- Seoul National University Exchange Program Scholarships – Various scholarships for international exchange students studying at Seoul National University.
- Silk-Road Scholarship Program at Seoul National University – Scholarships for Indian students to study abroad in South Korea at Seoul National University, in graduate-level humanities or social science programs.
- Sogang Global Scholarship – Asian scholarships for international students participating in the Sogang Exchange Program at Sogang University in Seoul.
Universities in Seoul offering international scholarships:
Other scholarships to study in Asia
- Asia Pacific University – International scholarships for new students to study at Asia Pacific University of Technology and Innovation (APU) in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Chulalongkorn University Education and Research Scholarships – A range of scholarships to study at the graduate level at Chulalongkorn University in Thailand.
- Commonwealth Scholarship Plan – India – Government scholarships for students from commonwealth countries to study an undergraduate, postgraduate, or doctoral degree in India (excluding medicine and dentistry). Funded by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR).
- ICCR Africa Scholarships – Scholarships for students from Africa to study abroad in India.
- KIMEP University – A variety of undergraduate scholarships for international students to study at KIMEP University in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- Malaysia International Scholarships (MIS) – International scholarships funded by the Malaysian government and awarded to incoming master’s and Ph.D. students at Malaysian universities. Priority is given to science and engineering students.
- HM King’s and HM Queen’s Scholarships for Asian Students in Thailand – Thai government scholarships for Asian nationals to study in Thailand at the master’s level within engineering and technology, the management or environment, and development at the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT).
- SEARCA Full Master and Ph.D. Scholarships – Southeast Asian scholarships open to graduate students from SEAMEO member countries (Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, etc.) on research programs in the fields of agriculture, forestry, fisheries, rural development, or education.
- Taiwan ICDF Scholarship Program – Study abroad scholarships for students of all levels to study in Taiwan at a university partnered with the ICDF. Open to nationals from selected developing countries only.
- Study in Taiwan Scholarships – A search tool for international scholarships to study abroad in Taiwan at all study levels. The study on the Taiwan website also lists government scholarships.
- Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship – A scholarship for Australian students to take part in an exchange program at a university in China, Hong Kong, or Singapore for one or two semesters.