There are a rising number of organizations and foundations that have the goal of expanding access to higher education, and as a result, there are a growing number of scholarships for minority women that are becoming available to assist and support women from a variety of backgrounds all over the globe. The following is a list of a variety of scholarships that are available to women who belong to underrepresented groups. These include scholarships for Hispanic women, scholarships for African women, scholarships for older women, and scholarships for single moms.
Please note that this page is updated yearly, and because the sponsors or institutions that open these scholarships may often change the period in which they accept applications, we may not keep up with these updates due to the volume of scholarships we publish here. Therefore, this page is basically intended to show you the endless opportunities you have to get a scholarship to study anywhere in the world. Simply click on the link to the scholarship you want to check the deadline for on the official website. Or click here to access our list of current scholarships.
Scholarships for Hispanic women
- 100 Hispanic Women Young Latinas Leadership Institute Scholarships – Scholarships for Hispanic women and girls to pursue undergraduate study in leadership and related programs.
- AAUW International Fellowships – AAUW provides US scholarships for international female students at the graduate level.
- Chicana/Latina Foundation Scholarship Program – Scholarships for Hispanic women (of Chicana or Latina heritage) to study in Northern California.
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund – Offering several scholarships for Hispanic women and men who are also citizens of the US.
- LAWA Scholarships for Women – Scholarships for Hispanic women residing in North Carolina, US.
- National Hispanic Business Women Association Educational Scholarship – Scholarships for Hispanic women studying in Southern California, US, wishing to pursue a career in business.
Scholarships for African women
- African Women in Agricultural Research and Development (AWARD) – Scholarships for African women in sub-Saharan Africa working within agricultural science.
- Leadership and Advocacy for Women in Africa (LAWA) Fellowship Program – Founded by Georgetown University’s Law Center, this fellowship gives training to African women to become human rights lawyers within their home country. It places an emphasis on advancing gender equality in the African legal system.
- Mwalimu Nyerere African Union Scholarship Scheme – For female African students pursuing master’s or Ph.D. programs in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and education science at an African university.
- NWAG Scholarships for Female Undergraduate Nigerian Students – For Nigerian women wishing to study in Nigeria.
- NYU Wagner Public Service Fellowships for African Women – NYU Wagner scholarships for African women wishing to pursue careers in public service within their home countries.
- Peace and Security Fellowship for African Women – A joint initiative of King’s College London (UK) and the University of Nairobi to train African women in conflict, security, and development. The fellowship is a non-degree program.
- The Wangari Maathai Scholarship Fund – Scholarships for African women aged 18 to 25 interested in environmental conservation. This scholarship is for Kenyan citizens only.
- WAAW Foundation Scholarship – A scholarship for African women studying STEM subjects at the undergraduate level.
- Zawadi Africa Education Fund – Scholarships for disadvantaged African women to study in Uganda, Ghana, South Africa, Kenya, or the US.
Scholarships for single mothers
- Andersen Nontraditional Scholarship for Women’s Education and Retraining (ANSWER) – For women who are US citizens aged 25 or older raising school-age children and wanting to gain a nursing degree or an undergraduate degree of their choice at a university in North or South Carolina.
- Arizona Business & Professional Women’s Foundation Scholarships – Awarded to professional women over 25 years old living in Arizona and want to further their education.
- Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund (ASPF) – Scholarships for single mothers and fathers living in Arkansas, US, on a low income.
- Patsy Takemoto Mink Foundation Scholarship – US scholarships for single mothers aged 17 and above, in need of financial support.
- Soroptimist Live Your Dream Awards – Scholarships for single mothers and women who are the primary source of financial support for their children. These scholarships are available internationally.
Scholarships for older women
- Adult Students in Scholastic Transition (ASIST) – Scholarships for older women and other non-traditional students looking to retrain. Applicants should demonstrate financial need and parental responsibility. This fund is exclusive to US citizens.
- Society of Women Engineers Scholarships – Scholarships for older women and men to return to higher education in engineering fields within the US and Canada.
- Go, Girl! Grant – For adult women in financial need to obtain degrees or occupational training. This fund is for residents of Coachella Valley, California, US.
- Jeanette Rankin Fund Scholarships – These scholarships are aimed at low-income mothers aged 35 or over. Again, this is for US citizens only.
- Oregon Ford ReStart Program Scholarship – Scholarships for older women (aged 25 or older) to begin or return to higher education. This fund is for residents of Oregon and Siskiyou County in the US.
- The Charlotte W. Newcombe Foundation Scholarships – Scholarships for older women in financial need, to study at several universities and colleges in the US.
Other scholarships for minority women
- AIET Minorities and Women Al Course Scholarship – Scholarships for minority students identifying as black, Asian, Hispanic, American Indian, Alaskan Native, or female.
- Canon Collins Scholarships – A range of scholarships and fellowships to support the development of education in South Africa.
- Cartier Women’s Initiative Award – International scholarships for women entrepreneurs.
- Central California Asian Pacific Women Scholarship – Providing financial assistance to women from Asia and the Pacific Islands (limited to Fresno, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, and Tulare counties). Applicants must demonstrate a good academic background, financial need, and extracurricular interests. This is for study at US universities only.
- International Federation of University Women Scholarships – A range of scholarships for minority women, one of which, the Hegg Hoffet Fund, is aimed at female postgraduates displaced by war or other emergency situations.
- Marcia Silverman Minority Student Award – Scholarships for minority women and men (of African-American/black, Hispanic/Latino, Asian, Native American, Alaskan Native, or Pacific Islander ancestry) pursuing journalism or PR-related programs.
- MMMF Education Grants – Scholarships for women all over the world in developing and middle-income countries, with a focus on South African, Latin American, and US/Canadian women.
- The Annemarie Schimmel Scholarship – UK scholarships for Pakistani women with professional degrees looking to return to Pakistan upon graduation to further their careers in their home country.