Latin America as a whole is home to a large number of prestigious schools from which students can choose. Even though the cost of living and attending school are often far more affordable in Latin America in comparison to the rest of the Americas (we’re looking at you, the United States), many foreign students will still find that they need some additional cash to cover their expenses. This is where scholarships can help!
You will discover a variety of current study abroad scholarships and financing possibilities listed here. These opportunities are available to students who want to further their education in Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Argentina, or any other country in the Latin American area. There are a variety of scholarships available to students at all levels of study; some are provided by the government, while others are made available by particular institutions or other organizations.
Please note that this page is updated yearly, and because the sponsors or institutions that open these scholarships may often change the period in which they accept applications, we may not keep up with these updates due to the volume of scholarships we publish here. Therefore, this page is basically intended to show you the endless opportunities you have to get a scholarship to study anywhere in the world. Simply click on the link to the scholarship you want to check the deadline for on the official website. Or click here to access our list of current scholarships.
To study anywhere in Latin America
- CIEE Bowman Travel Grants – Study abroad scholarships for students pursuing study in Latin America, Africa, the Asia-Pacific, or the Caribbean. Awards are based on financial need.
- EUREKA SD Partnership – Bilateral short-term scholarships to study in Latin America for European students. Part of the EU’s student mobility initiative, Erasmus Mundus (now Erasmus+).
- Roberto Rocca Education Program – International scholarships to study in Latin America in undergraduate engineering and science programs. Open to residents of Argentina, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Ecuador, Ghana, Guatemala, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Nigeria, Romania, the UK, Uruguay, and the US.
Scholarships to study in Argentina
- Mente Argentina Scholarships – Various partial international scholarships to study in Argentina at the graduate level in Buenos Aires.
- Roberto Rocca Education Program – Argentina – International scholarships to study in Argentina on various undergraduate programs including engineering, geosciences, and materials sciences at selected leading universities.
- Scholarships Argentina Spanish Scholarships – Various international scholarships, including 12 for the Spanish and Culture immersion program and 10 for the Latin American studies program.
- Universidad de Buenos Aires Financial Aid Scholarships – A range of scholarships to study at Universidad de Buenos Aires (UBA).
Scholarships to study in Brazil
- BRASA Brazil Initiation Scholarship – A US$1,500 travel scholarship for students in the US to do exploratory research or language study in Brazil.
- Canada-Brazil Awards – Joint Research Projects – Awards promoting cross-cultural research projects between Canadian universities and Brazilian partners.
- The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) Fellowships – Fellowships for Ph.D. and postdoctoral scientists from developing countries to work abroad in Brazil or other countries.
Scholarships to study in Chile
- Chilean Nelson Mandela Scholarship – Study abroad scholarships for South African students (including Angola and Mozambique) to study in Chile for a master’s degree at selected institutions. Preferred subjects include astronomy, agriculture, energy, public policy, management, health, environment, and mining.
- CONICYT National Doctoral Scholarship – Ph.D. scholarships for international students looking to study in Chile at the doctoral level.
- CONICYT National Master Scholarship – Graduate scholarships to study in Chile for a master’s degree. Both the doctoral and master scholarships have ended, so check back to www.conicyt.cl at a later date for the 2018 round.
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (UC) – A range of scholarships to study at the university.
Scholarships to study in Mexico
- Boren Scholarships – Study abroad scholarships for US students interested in working for the US federal government after graduation, to study in Latin America, Africa, Asia, and other countries critical to US interests.
- British Academy Newton Mobility Grants – Exchange programs for postdoctoral UK students and students from partner countries to conduct research in partner nations, including Mexico.
- Tecnológico de Monterrey scholarships – A range of scholarships to study at Tecnológico de Monterrey (ITESM), including the Socioeconomic Scholarship for students with a grade average of 85/100 who require financial aid.
- UNAM postgraduate scholarships – Scholarships for international master’s and doctoral students to study at Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM), awarded as monthly maintenance grants.
- Mexican Government Scholarships – Government scholarships to study in Mexico, open to all foreign students enrolling in master’s, doctoral, or postgraduate research programs at selected institutions.
- Rainforest Alliance Kleinhans Fellowships – Ph.D. scholarships for master’s degree holders in the fields of forestry, ecology, botany, environmental science, or a related field, to conduct doctoral/postdoctoral research in Mexico or other Latin American countries.
Scholarships to study elsewhere in Latin America
- IFCO Full Scholarship Program – Study abroad scholarships for US students looking to study medicine in Cuba. The degree is taught in Spanish.
- MasterCard Foundation Scholarships – Study abroad scholarships for African, Latin American, and Caribbean students to study in Costa Rica.
- Universidad de Costa Rica Scholarships – Socioeconomic grants are available for students with limited financial resources who demonstrate academic excellence.
- Wells Mountain Foundation – International scholarships for students from developing countries to study at home or within another developing country.