The name BRICS refers to the five most important developing economies of today: Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa. Each of these countries is recognized as an emerging economic force. People think of Brazil, Russia, India, and China as either established or growing superpowers. These four countries are all in the top ten when it comes to population, land area, and gross domestic product.
When the BRICS were first named, it was to bring attention to investment opportunities. Before that, they did not work as a formal international group. Since 2009, they have been steadily becoming a more unified geopolitical bloc. Each year, their governments meet at official summits and coordinate global policies. The most recent BRICS summit was held in China on July 24, 2022. Members of the BRICS group mostly follow the principles of noninterference, equality, and mutual benefit when they deal with each other.
If you are interested in studying in Brazil, Russia, India, China, or South Africa, then have a look at the following list of scholarships available to study abroad in these five growing economies:
Please note that this page is updated yearly, and because the sponsors or institutions that open these scholarships may often change the period in which they accept applications, we may not keep up with these updates due to the volume of scholarships we publish here. Therefore, this page is basically intended to show you the endless opportunities you have to get a scholarship to study anywhere in the world. Simply click on the link to the scholarship you want to check the deadline for on the official website. Or click here to access our list of current scholarships.
Scholarships to study in Brazil
- OAS-GCUB Scholarship Program – The Organization of American States and Brazil’s Coimbra Group of universities have partnered to offer 670 Brazilian scholarship opportunities to outstanding citizens of OAS member states to complete master’s or Ph.D. programs at Brazilian universities.
- Canada-Brazil Awards – Joint Research Projects – These awards aim to promote cross-cultural research ventures between Canadian schools and Brazilian partners.
- IBRASIL Project – Erasmus Mundus – International scholarships for EU students to study in Brazil.
- The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) Fellowships – Fellowships for Ph.D. and postdoctoral scientists from developing countries to work abroad in Brazil, Mexico, or other countries.
- Government of Russian Federation Scholarships – A set number of government scholarships to study in Russia are available each year, which offer free tuition, accommodation, and a monthly maintenance allowance.
- The School of Russian and Asian Studies (SRAS) – A selection of international scholarships to study abroad in Russia and other former Soviet states, most of which are explicitly for US students.
- Open Doors: Russian Scholarship Project – Russia’s first international competition for prospective Master’s students to study for free at one of the top universities in Russia.
- American Councils Scholarships – A range of scholarships are on offer to conduct research or undergo Russian language training in Russia, covering travel costs, a monthly allowance, health insurance, and more.
- BP in Russia Research Scholarships – Russian scholarships ranging from RUB 15,000-35,000 (~US$255-600) a month, aimed at students studying degrees related to energy and economics at a partner Russian institution. Candidates must be studying for state grants, have exceptional grades, and aim to progress in their chosen subject in the future.
Scholarships to study in India
- Commonwealth Scholarship Scheme – Government scholarships funded by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) are available for students from commonwealth countries to study for a degree at any study level (excluding medicine and dentistry).
- Merit-cum-Means Scholarship Scheme – Government scholarships aiming to help commendable students from poor backgrounds and minority groups (Muslim/Christian/Sikh/Buddhist/Jain/Parsi) to study professional or technical courses. These scholarships take your parents’ income into account and cover tuition fees and a pocket allowance.
- ICCR Africa Scholarships – Scholarships for African students to study abroad in India.
Scholarships to study in China
- CAS-TWAS President’s Ph.D. Fellowship Program – International scholarships to complete a Ph.D. in China.
- Chinese Scholarships-Great Wall Program – Scholarships for overseas students to study in China for a year at any level of study.
- Chinese Government Scholarships – Available for EU students at all degree levels to study in China.
- Zhejiang University Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program – Scholarships for Asian students to complete a two-year English-taught master’s degree in public administration at Zhejiang University.
- Tsinghua University Doctoral Scholarship – Full or partial tuition scholarships are available for foreign students to study for a doctorate degree at Tsinghua University.
- Peking University Academic Excellence Scholarships – Scholarships for outstanding international students who have already been admitted to Peking University.
Scholarships to study in South Africa
- South African German Centre for Development Research Scholarships – Scholarships are available for outstanding Sub-Saharan Africans and South African students to study master’s and Ph.D. degrees in development studies (or a related subject) at the University of the Western Cape.
- Canon Collins Scholarships for Postgraduate Study in South Africa – Scholarships for students from Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, or Zimbabwe to study a postgraduate degree relating to the areas of justice, education, or humanities.
- University of Cape Town International/Refugee Scholarships – Renewable scholarships for non-South African students to study for a full-time postgraduate degree at the University of Cape Town. These scholarships are supplementary, meaning you must already have the required funds for your studies.
- Stellenbosch University Graduate School Scholarships – Scholarships to study a Ph.D. at the School of Economic and Management Sciences at Stellenbosch University.
- Surfshark Privacy and Security Scholarship – A $2,000 prize is available to a student currently enrolled in South Africa or another study destination as a high school, undergraduate, or graduate student. You will need to submit an essay to apply and the scholarship is open to all nationalities.
- Rhodes University Postgraduate Scholarships – Various scholarships for both South African and international students to study for a postgraduate degree at Rhodes University. Each scholarship has its own eligibility requirements regarding the applicable subject/s and whether you need to demonstrate financial need or academic excellence.