A powerful higher education system that is ranked 16th in the most recent QS Higher Education System Strength Rankings makes New Zealand a very appealing study destination for many people. This is because the country has strong higher education, great universities, high quality of life, and beautiful scenery.
The cost of an education in New Zealand might be high, but there is financial assistance available in the form of a variety of New Zealand scholarships that can be applied for.
Please note that this page is updated yearly, and because the sponsors or institutions that open these scholarships may often change the period in which they accept applications, we may not keep up with these updates due to the volume of scholarships we publish here. Therefore, this page is basically intended to show you the endless opportunities you have to get a scholarship to study anywhere in the world. Simply click on the link to the scholarship you want to check the deadline for on the official website. Or click here to access our list of current scholarships.
Government-funded New Zealand scholarships:
- Fulbright New Zealand US Graduate Awards – Scholarships for students from the US to study a postgraduate or research program in any field at a university in New Zealand. Covers tuition, living costs, airfares, and more.
- New Zealand Foreign Affairs and Trade Scholarships – Various scholarships at all study levels are available for students from various countries in the Pacific and South-East Asia. They are fully funded, covering tuition fees, a fortnightly living allowance, and other expenses.
- New Zealand International Doctoral Research Scholarships – Provides a stipend covering full tuition fees and living expenses for up to three years for international students enrolled in a Ph.D. program at a university in New Zealand. Awarded based on academic excellence.
University-specific New Zealand Scholarships:
- Auckland University of Technology (AUT) – Various scholarships for international students to study at the university.
- Lincoln University – The university’s scholarship database allows you to look for scholarships for your particular subject and study level.
- Massey University Doctoral Scholarship – Scholarships for both domestic and international students to study for a doctorate at the university.
- Southern Institute of Technology – Scholarships for international students to study at the Southern Institute of Technology.
- University of Auckland International Student Scholarships – Various scholarships are available to study at the University of Auckland at all study levels.
- University of Canterbury – A range of scholarships for international students – you can personalize the results with the search tool.
- University of Otago – Various postgraduate-level scholarships to study at the university.
- University of Waikato – Scholarships such as the International Excellence Scholarship, which is based on academic merit and available for students of all study levels; and the Michael Baldwin Memorial Scholarship, for students from the South Pacific (excluding Australia and New Zealand) who demonstrate financial need.
- Victoria University of Wellington – A range of scholarships aimed at international students, including the Latin American Academic Achievement Scholarship, which supports high-achieving Latin American students who have gained a place on a bachelor’s or master’s degree at the university.
Other New Zealand scholarships:
- AusIMM New Zealand Branch Education Endowment Trust Scholarships – Undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships for students enrolled in a New Zealand university on a course related to minerals.
- Barbara Wood Memorial Foundation – Scholarships for students from the South Pacific to study in New Zealand or another country in the South Pacific.
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan – Scholarships for Canadian students to study for a doctorate in any discipline at a university in New Zealand.
- Go Overseas Study Abroad Scholarship – Five scholarships worth up to US$15,000 are available for undergraduate and postgraduate students from the US and Europe to study at an eligible university in New Zealand.
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand University Scholarships – Scholarships for students of economics, finance, or banking at honors, master’s, or Ph.D. level and studying full-time. Open to international students, provided they can legally work in New Zealand (the scholarship includes an offer of employment at the Reserve Bank after you’ve gained your qualification; if you do not accept this offer, you’ll need to repay the scholarship).
- R. H. T. Bates Postgraduate Scholarship – A scholarship for a domestic or international student enrolled on a doctorate in physical sciences and engineering at any university in New Zealand.
- Surfshark Privacy and Security Scholarship – A $2,000 prize is available to a student currently enrolled in New Zealand or another study destination as a high school, undergraduate, or graduate student. You will need to submit an essay to apply and the scholarship is open to all nationalities.