You’re likely thinking of attending school in the United Kingdom if you’ve got a hankering for fish and chips, tea, and drizzle. (I’m sure it will come as a relief to learn that there are also one or two reputable colleges in the area.)
Because getting an education in the UK has become more expensive, there is a lot of competition for scholarships and other forms of financial aid. This makes the market for scholarship money very competitive, but it also means that more scholarships are being given out as UK schools try to get the best international students to come study there.
You will discover a selection of scholarship opportunities to study in the United Kingdom (UK) below. Some of these opportunities are financed by the government of the UK, while others are funded by other organizations, and many are financed by particular UK institutions.
Please note that this page is updated yearly, and because the sponsors or institutions that open these scholarships may often change the period in which they accept applications, we may not keep up with these updates due to the volume of scholarships we publish here. Therefore, this page is basically intended to show you the endless opportunities you have to get a scholarship to study anywhere in the world. Simply click on the link to the scholarship you want to check the deadline for on the official website. Or click here to access our list of current scholarships.
Government-funded UK scholarships for international students
- British Chevening Scholarships – UK scholarships for international students funded by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office and partner organizations. The scholarships provide full or partial funding for full-time graduate programs in any subject.
- Commonwealth Scholarships for Developing Commonwealth Countries – Scholarships for international students from developing countries in the Commonwealth, for studies at master and Ph.D. levels. The full list of eligible countries is available here.
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme at UK Universities – UK scholarships for international students undertaking taught master’s programs in the UK. Programs studied must be demonstrably relevant to the development of technology, economy, or society within the student’s country of origin.
- Marshall Scholarships – Postgraduate scholarships for US students showing academic merit, leadership potential, and ambassadorial potential to study in the UK. Excludes MBAs and certain courses.
Non-governmental UK scholarships for international students
- Euraxess UK – Euraxess is an initiative of the European Commission, providing support for researchers in Europe. The UK branch of the scheme is run by the British Council, offering various graduate research scholarships for international students from around the world.
- CastleSmart Scholarship – Estate agent CastleSmart offers £6,000 annually for an undergraduate student in the UK (open to all nationalities). Applicants must create a compelling YouTube video outlining their study and career plans.
- Surfshark Privacy and Security Scholarship – A $2,000 prize is available to a student currently enrolled in the UK or another study destination as a high school, undergraduate, or graduate student. You will need to submit an essay to apply and the scholarship is open to all nationalities.
- The Royal Society Grants – Various grants and fellowships are available for talented researchers in the UK and beyond.
For African students:
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship Programme – Need-based UK scholarships for international students from Africa.
For Armenian students:
- The Luys Scholarship Program – Awards loans or scholarships to Armenian students to study at the world’s top universities, including the UK universities Oxford and Cambridge.
For Chinese students:
- Great Britain China Center Chinese Student Awards – Awards of up to £3,000 are available for Chinese citizens (including those from Hong Kong) studying for a Ph.D. in any subject at a UK university.
For French students:
- Entente Cordiale Scholarships – Scholarships to study in the UK for French students pursuing postgraduate study.
For Indian students:
- Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships – UK scholarships for doctoral students, research students, and visiting fellows from India.
- Saltire Scholarships – Scholarships for students from Canada, the US, India, Pakistan, Hong Kong, and China to study in Scotland at any degree level.
For Pakistani students:
- Charles Wallace Pakistan Trust Scholarships – UK charity offering scholarships to study in the UK to Pakistani doctoral students, graduate researchers, or visiting fellows.
University-specific UK scholarships for international students
- Aberystwyth University International Scholarships – A range of scholarships, bursaries, and award schemes to support international students at Aberystwyth University in Wales.
- Bristol University International Scholarships – UK scholarships for international students to study at Bristol University in any undergraduate or postgraduate program.
- the University of Birmingham International Scholarships – Various scholarships for international students to study at the University of Birmingham.
- Cardiff University Elite International Scholarships – Bachelor’s and master’s degree UK scholarships for international students to study at Cardiff University in Wales.
- Clarendon Scholarships at the University of Oxford – Sponsored by Oxford University Press, the Clarendon Fund offers UK scholarships to full- and part-time graduate students at the University of Oxford.
- University of Edinburgh Global Scholarships – Various UK scholarship programs for graduate international students enrolling at Scotland’s University of Edinburgh. The university also offers scholarships for students from Central and South America.
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships for International Students – Offering full UK scholarships for international students to study in the UK at the University of Cambridge. For full-time postgraduate students only.
- Imperial College London Bursaries and Scholarships – Undergraduate scholarships are available to study at Imperial College London, including the President’s Undergraduate Scholarships. The university also offers postgraduate scholarships.
- Kingston University International Scholarships – The university’s international office awards scholarships for all study levels, including undergraduate scholarships for Indian students.
- Queen’s University Belfast International Scholarships – A range of undergraduate and graduate scholarship options to study at Queen’s University Belfast in Northern Ireland.
- University of Nottingham International Scholarships – Various scholarships available at all study levels.
- Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford University for International Students – Merit-based UK scholarships for master’s and Ph.D. students to study at Oxford University.
- Swansea University Undergraduate Scholarships – A selection of undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships, available to students from various regions, including the EU, Asia, and the Middle East.
- Sheffield Hallam University Transform Together Scholarships for International and European Union (non-UK) Students – A range of UK scholarships open to international or EU (non-UK) students pursuing a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate taught course at Sheffield Hallam University.
- University College London (UCL) Scholarships – A search tool for finding financial awards for both current and prospective students of the university.
- University of West London International Ambassador Scholarships – Offering up to 50 scholarships for international students to study in the UK and to be ambassadors of their home country. Open to both undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- The University of Westminster Scholarships for International Students – UK scholarships for master’s students enrolled at the University of Westminster. Awards are offered based on academic merit and financial need. There are also scholarships available for international undergraduate students.