There are now more scholarships available to help LGBTQ+ people pay their tuition. In certain nations, such as the United States, LGBTQ+ scholarships are somewhat widespread; in other countries, they are very uncommon or even unheard of. Depending on where you want to complete your education, you may or might not be able to get the support of this kind.
Check out the country-by-country breakdown that we’ve provided below for an overview of some of the scholarship opportunities that are now available to LGBT students. Keep in mind that to qualify for certain programs, you will need to be a resident or an active student.
Please note that this page is updated yearly, and because the sponsors or institutions that open these scholarships may often change the period in which they accept applications, we may not keep up with these updates due to the volume of scholarships we publish here. Therefore, this page is basically intended to show you the endless opportunities you have to get a scholarship to study anywhere in the world. Simply click on the link to the scholarship you want to check the deadline for on the official website. Or click here to access our list of current scholarships.
LGBT scholarships to study in the US
- The Pride Foundation – Scholarships for current and future leaders in the LGBTQ+ community from Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington.
- The LEAGUE Foundation – Scholarships for LGBTQ+ students entering their first year at an institution of higher learning in the US. You must be a US citizen to apply.
- National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals – Scholarships for LGBT students or active allies of the LGBTQ+ community, to support undergraduate or graduate degrees in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics. Successful applicants will be awarded each Fall.
- The Point Foundation – A large scholarship-granting organization aimed at supporting LGBTQ students, assessed on academic merit. Successful applicants are awarded financial support are paired with a mentor and given opportunities to participate in leadership development events.
- Pfund – LGBT scholarships for students in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Iowa, who are enrolled in or admitted to a post-secondary academic program.
- Roy Scrivner Research Grants – A US$9,000 grant for graduate students to conduct research that encourages the study of LGBT family psychology and LGBT family therapy.
- Human Rights Campaign Scholarship Database – A good resource for searching for LGBTQ scholarships and other funding opportunities by state.
- Stonewall Foundation Scholarships – A foundation that focuses on the important needs of the LGBT community, particularly in New York, and provides scholarships that offer unique learning experiences and opportunities. Applications for the 2023 cycle open in spring.
- The Gamma Mu Foundation – Provides grants and scholarships for gay men who want to further their education at a college, university, or through a vocational or professional training program. Preference is given to students who come from rural or underserved areas and those who have overcome issues of discrimination/marginalization within their community.
- The Kay Longcope Scholarship Award – Provides up to $3,000 in tuition assistance to an LGBT student of color who plans a career in journalism and is committed to furthering NLGJA’s mission of fair and accurate coverage of the LGBT community. The Leroy F. Aarons Scholarship Award is also available for LGBT students planning a career in journalism.
- NMU ALLIES Scholarship – provides scholarships for full-time students at Northern Michigan University with a top academic record who have shown documented leadership, support, or involvement in organizations, activities, or issues that promote awareness and acceptance of the LGBT community at the university.
LGBT scholarships to study in the UK
- Positive action for LGBT+ MSc Scholarship at University of Edinburgh Business School – The University of Edinburgh Business School offers a £10,000 scholarship to fund any of their taught masters’ degrees, for students who are committed to making a difference to the LGBT+ community, especially within the business environment.
LGBT scholarships to study in Canada
- The University of Alberta Michael Phair Leadership Award – A scholarship for LGBTQ and two-spirited students at the University of Alberta.
- The Imperial Sovereign Court of the Wild Rose – Bursary awards for LGBTQ and two-spirited students in any accredited post-secondary education program within the province of Alberta.
- The Bill 7 Award – Scholarships are available for LGBTQ and two-spirited students who are in financial need and studying at any post-secondary institution in Ontario. Applications for the 2023-2024 cycle open in April.
- The LOUD Foundation – Scholarships for LGBTQ students enrolled at Canadian universities, who are also Canadian citizens or residents. Applications open in November and close in January.
LGBT scholarships to study in Australia and New Zealand
- The Pinnacle Foundation – Scholarships for young LGBTIQ people between the ages of 18 and 26, who desire to undertake full-time education at a public or private secondary school (final year) or public institution of higher education in Australia.
- Monash Queer Leaders Scholarship – Two scholarships are available to an Australian or Kiwi student who identifies as LGBTIQ and is enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at Monash University.
- Rainbow New Zealand – Scholarships for LGBTTQIA+ students enrolling in a full-time degree course at a recognized tertiary-level institution. Applicants must be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents and have lived in New Zealand for at least the previous two years.
- Collin Higgins Youth Courage Award – Offers the annual youth courage award for exceptional students dealing with discrimination, and gives the chance for LGBTQ allies who apply to win $10,000 plus an opportunity to attend the National Conference for LGBT equality, and to be honored on an all-expense paid trip to Los Angeles or New York for Pride Week.
Other LGBT scholarships:
- Crossing Borders – A summer academic program in Mexico that connects students of various backgrounds and ethnicities and includes Spanish language training. Includes a Diversity Scholarship for ethnic minority and LGBT students.
- The National Gay Pilots Association Education Fund – Provides scholarships for students who are actively involved in the LGBT community, have earned at least a private pilot certificate, and are enrolled in an accredited US college or university. It is not necessary to be a US citizen to apply.